Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Almost Food


There are parts of Seoul where foreign food is really hip. You'll pass a dozen restaurants offering Brazilian, Mexican, Indian, Thai, and lots of American food. Many of these places will advertise their chefs' authenticity. ALL CHEFS FROM BRAZIL! I wonder if there are chef recruiting agencies, just like the way many of my English teaching peers found their jobs here.

Sometimes these places have a twist, like "American Candian Food" (steak and maple syrup?) or Tibetan-Indian Cuisine (that place is actually awesome). So far, the best I've walked past is Fat Panda. Notice the similarity to an American chain? American Style Chinese Food. Is this like listening to Jamaican Style Balkan Dubstep? Is this like wearing a Kalgoorlie Styled Norwegian Fishing Hat? I also like how the Panda is Fat. This intrinsically links the dining experience to something wholly American. I'm gonna eat there.

No comments:

Post a Comment