Monday, October 26, 2009

A Taste of Kindergarten


Today I have for you a selection of writing samples from my kindergartners replete with my comments.

Regarding Abraham Lincoln:

"Then he proved that salvery was wrong. Many people agreed. So the long time of Slavery led down the curtain."

I love when kids attempt turns of phrase. Not perfectly executed, but ambitious. This kid closes their story about reading a book about Lincoln with this gem:

"I have to read books and study and block the war when it happens."

That is intense! I wonder if the mom is like Sarah Connor.

One student began a fairy tale with:

"Once upon a time, when tigers smoked..."

This has a terrific cadence for oral storytelling. Also, given that the only tigers left on the Korean peninsula are probably hiding in the DMZ, the thought that they once lazed around smoking really puts it back in the day.

One child recounts what was hopefully a dream:

"After I ride the roller coaster my mom get a strong steel broomstick......AND PUNCH WITH HER ALL ALL POWER!!"

Several kids have been riffing lately about how their moms chase after them with broomsticks. This example is special because, like the earlier sample, the writer is forming sentences in ways they've probably heard in giant robot movies.

Finally, in an illustration, a kid draws a surprised character uttering this tidbit, which may suggest God's mighty radius or possibly kitchen appliances:

"Oh my gosh range!"

1 comment:

  1. Hey Matt! Your dad tuned me into your Blog. As my H.S American Humor teacher would say: "Pretty funny stuff!" We'll stay tuned!
    Laird G.

    ReplyDelete