Thursday, October 8, 2009

Good News and Funny Things

Today it was made official official. My school will be adding a Theatre Arts class that I wrote to the curriculum. Myself and another teacher will be working with a group of ten first through third graders each on a number of awesome units. Voice and diction for the actor, movement on stage, scenes, characters, improv, and more. All leading up to a Showcase for the parents which is sure to be a blast. I am very excited.

Here are a few dialogues from students which I'd like to share...

Kindergartner: At my grandma's house over the weekend I was telling them about my story and then when my mouth was open my dad put a yucky blucky food in it so I went to the toilet and wacked it up. I wacked it all up but there was a poop in the toilet already! So I wacked it all over the poop and then there was poop and wack in the toilet.

Then there's this amazing pause while I think about how this kid must have heard the slang "yak it up" in a movie or something and gotten it confused. And then...

Another kindergartner: Whenever I fly in an airplane, I always wack it.


Another memorable moment came when a kindergartner boy was talking about a girl in the class...

Kindergartner: When she tells someone, who is a boy, that she doesn't like them, she breaks hearts.

Man, this kid has got it figured out. A line like that is beautiful and universal in its simplicity. These young Korean kids are brilliant and hilarious. I can't wait to start teaching them improv comedy...

2 comments:

  1. Movement on stage is "blocking". Sounds so much more professional and these kids sound pretty professional already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous, I appreciate your suggestion. Seems to be a small point of semantics. If we were rehearsing a play, I would teach the students their blocking, which refers to specific stage directions based on cues. Since we are studying acting as an art, the unit "movement on stage" covers stage business, techniques like cheating out, pantomime, and embodying a character though their walk, their posture, etc.

    ReplyDelete