Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Return of the Kings: Walker Hill $10,000 Tournament

Last weekend I went back to Walker Hill for the big tournament which I had won my way into by flexing serious Texas Hold'em skills. Funny thing is, I actually suck and proved this at the very first table of the tournament. After winning four hands in a row I foolishly went all in against a wily old Chinese gentleman who made two pair on the river. It was just too early in the day to make that kind of move. So I was out after playing for less than half an hour. A man had feelings, so I went into a gambling fugue and played roulette for, like, ten hours. I ended up about 40 bucks up when I emerged from the fugue. So it was a pretty good fugue overall. I believe I ate some Korean food during this period and I definitely went to a bathroom that looked like the escape pod from an art deco space station.

This week has been short because Chuseok is upon us. A sort of Korean Thanksgiving, Chuseok gets me a Friday off and sees many Korean children coming to school in traditional Hanbok, or awesome gowns. Some are rather traditional while others make the child look like the patron saint of '80s neon. Gifts have been prevalent: I am up two pens, a bouquet of flowers, aftershave, and a bottle of wine. I gave my kindergartners a bunch of colored pencils which have rainbow graphite (!) and my Korean teachers got pears. Everybody likes pears, right? They were Asian pears in fact, and I didn't mean anything by that choice. Asian pears just happen to be the most delicious.

Happy Chuseok!

No comments:

Post a Comment